Kerry Koppin Bio
Dog Training Instructor
Kerry got her start in pet dog training classes in 1974 when she enrolled in her first class with her Michigan Humane Society adopted dog Punky. It was a rough start the first night as Punky had gotten out of the yard and was lost. Kerry went to class, dogless and all of her instructors held high hope that Kerry and Punky would be in class the next week. Hope came through and for the next seven weeks Kerry and Punky built the bond that comes from training your dog. That was just the beginning and now over 30 years later she is still active in helping people learn how to teach their dogs and build the bond that she has shares with all of her canine pals.
Kerry has a new family dog training challenge in her household. In December, 2009 Kerry and her husband adopted a12 week old puppy from the Humane Society. It has been almost 20 years since Kerry has lived and personally trained with a young puppy the age of her new little pal Zelda.
Due to a puppy illness, Zelda was not able to attend Puppy Kindergarten so she lost out on the important time of socializing with puppies her same age but being home schooled with adult dogs has been beneficial for both Zelda and Kerry. Zelda has completed her Family Dog I class and is currently enrolled in our Really Reliable Recall class. Zelda and Kerry are both looking forward to our Family Dog II class and working together as a team to pass the American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen test.
“Having a puppy in my own home has been challenging and rewarding at the same time. Zelda is bright and quick to learn. With the experience of adopting a puppy instead of an older dog I am finding the importance of being consistent and persistent in what I am teaching Zelda. What Zelda has taught me as an owner and trainer I am able to share this experience with our students and their dogs and puppies. This is what I love about dog training and being a part of the K9 Korral family!”
- Experience in pet dog training and instructing since 1990 including puppy, beginner, and intermediate including American Kennel Club® Canine Good Citizen® program and AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy.
- Lure and reward training and Clicker training
- Adoption Manager/Breed Rescue Coordinator for the Humane Society of Sarasota County, Inc.
- Instructor of the Post Adoption Behavior Class for the Humane Society of Sarasota County, Inc.
- Assists Matchmaker/K-9 Coaching programs for the Humane Society of Sarasota County, Inc.
- American Kennel Club® Canine Good Citizen® Program Evaluator
- Member of Sarasota Obedience Training Club
- Past Assistant Obedience Trainer – Sarasota Obedience Training Club
- Experience working with many different breeds including mixed breeds and rescue dogs and puppies