Valentine’s day is right around the corner, here are a couple of tips to keep your dog safe during the holiday. Valentine’s day is a special holiday filled with sweets, flowers and other gifts. As it is already known, chocolate is extremely bad for dogs. Make sure to keep your sweets out of your dogs reach. Take note, some flowers are highly poisonous when digested by dogs. Most dogs eat anything they can, especially if they enjoy the scent coming from objects.
Chocolate is a known cause to illness to dogs. Especially the fancy chocolates that are prearranged for Valentine’s Day. A lot of dogs enjoy chocolate. Some even take the time to eat just the chocolate and leave the wrapper. The chemicals that are used in the making of chocolate is the main reason they say chocolate is horrible for dogs. If your dog gets a hold of one piece of chocolate, there is no reason to panic. But, if you come home from your date and realize that all of your chocolate is gone, then you have a serious problem on your hands. Furthermore, dogs can also get ill from the wrappers that the sweets are wrapped in.
There are many flowers that are toxic to anyone, especially dogs. It is hard to tell if your dog has eaten a plant or flower; mainly because they can eat the whole thing and leave no trace of evidence. The problem with most flowers or plants they are grown to defend themselves. For example, roses grow with thorns for protection. If your dog is to try and eat a rose the thorns can get stabbed in their throats, gums and tongue. With out you being home, you have no way to help out your dog if they mistakenly digest one of your flowers or plants.
The other gifts that are received are teddy bears, stuffed animals, etc. Leaving any of these gifts out can cause harm to your animal if they get a hold of them. Most stuffed animals or teddy bears have small pieces attached to them that dogs seem to rip out, such as, eyes, nose, buttons, etc. The problem with this is that the animals can choke on the small pieces they get from chewing them off of the gifts.
Dogs are highly intelligent, but they are similar to little babies. The only way a dog can tell what something is by sticking objects in their mouths. The only way to protect them from things they are not supposed to have is by putting them out of reach of your animal. So before you decide to go out this holiday make sure to puppy proof your houses and not to leave your new gifts in reach of your dogs. Following these tips will keep your dog safe for Valentine’s day.